Pages

Monday 12 October 2020

The woman is to remain in an abusive marriage: Above Rubies P/10


                                                     Read Part One HERE


In this post I will continue to share from a story told by teacher and writer Nancy Campbell in her magazine "Above Rubies."

The story is about a couple named Connie and Jim with Connie giving the details of their lives together as printed in "Above Rubies." I will follow up her statements with my comments.

 Connie: "The years went on and the crimes continued. I was completely exhausted and my mate still continued another crime and went to prison four years. I loved him. I felt he was demon possessed, yet he was my husband. I hated it when he deserted me, but I was married to him no matter what. Adultery to me was the worst of all sins..... "

My Comment

In the case of Connie and Jim, things eventually turned out well. Her husband did become a believer and he gave up his life of crime and unfaithfulness. However, it could have easily been a different story with Jim never changing. I doubt if Nancy Campbell would have shared this story then in her magazine "Above Rubies." Moreover, the fact that Nancy Campbell shared this story more than once in her magazine shows  that Jim's continuing unfaithfulnes was of no importance to her. It is one thing for Connie to not have addressed it perhaps out of a lack of understanding how God views things as a relatively immature believer but there is no excuse for Nancy Campbell to ignore all that took place in the marriage of Connie and Jim because she teaches many women and has done so for many years. She has thereby opened the door for other women to believe that they may have to accept their husbands' behaviour no matter what they may be doing, including being unfaithful and committing crimes of any kind. And that it would be wrong, even sinful, of them to speak up or take action when their husbands are involved in such activities.

P.S. This is my last post on Nancy Campbell.


No comments:

Post a Comment