Pages

Sunday 15 September 2024

EVANGELICAL WOMEN IN EARLY 1800; MARIA WOODWORTH ETTER P/175

                                                                 Read Part One HERE


In this post I will continue to focus on a woman named Maria Woodworth Etter. She lived from 1844 -1924. In 1912, Maria joined the Pentecostal Movement and preached widely in Pentecostal circles until her death in 1924. Meantime in 1918, she founded what what is today Lakeview Church (Temple) of Indianapolis.

 Of local interest in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is the fact that Maria held tent revivals meetings in Dallas in 1912 and 1922.

In 1912, as many as 5,000 people attended the five months of meetings. In 1922, despite the severe cold and pneumonia that hampered Maria's speech, she continued to minister. One reporter wrote, "It is one of the most remarkable sights of a lifetime, to see this evangelist of great age, still pressing the battle for God, standing heroically for the great fundamentals with His approval in Signs and Wonders following."

When a critic said she should be home in bed, she remarked, "When I start to preach and He gives me a shock of power from His heavenly battery, I feel like I was sixteen years old - Glory" How can I go to bed? I have to tell people about Jesus."

From Dallas she went on to conduct a two-week campaign in Fort Worth. At this time, one observer noted that, "Although she is almost 78 years old, she is just as strong in faith, and God is using her mightily in the ministry of healing and preaching." In this meeting besides praying for the sick, she taught on spiritual gifts and then prayed for 50 Christan workers who sought her help. She always had time to counsel and pray with someone in need.

Maria died in 1924.

P.S. I will take a break on sharing stories on Evangelical women in early 1800. Instead I will do a brief series on Evangelical women who lived in 1600, whose stories I recently disovered. Afterwards, I will begin to share stories on Evangelical women in the second half 1800.





No comments:

Post a Comment