Pages

Sunday 5 June 2022

Pastors are to be given double honour: Sovereign Grace P/1



In this blog post I will begin a series of posts focusing on  C.J. Mahaney, pastor of Sovereign Grace Church, Kentucky. He was formerly president of Sovereign Grace Ministries, now known as Sovereign Grace Churches. Their culture incorporates a strong emphasis on homeschooling, patriarchy and corporal punishment. A civil suit was filed in 2012, accusing Mahaney and other Sovereign Grace pastors of covering up the sexual abuse of children.

Testimony of a survivor:

"I was a member of two Sovereign Grace Ministries churches in the DC-MD-Va area for a total of 8 years. During my first visit to a caregroup they spent over 45 minutes praising the attributes of the pastor. When I questioned the caregroup leader about this, I was pointed to 1 Timothy 5:17 - you know, the "double honour" idea."

"The months turned into years and I witnessed nothing short of idol worship being given to the pastoral staff. It's so easy to see that now, but I was so taken in by their "observations" of my pride and sinful judgements. The hierarchy, manipulations and sever pressure to conform ("cult of personality") were also rampant at both churches. The entire 8 years I felt the Holy Spirit prodding me: something-is-wrong-here-but-I-can't-put-my-finger-on-it."

"I confronted pastors at both churches on these issues - citing multiple examples and how they contradicted scripture. Both made it clear that it was inconceivable to think they weren't 100% correct (okay, 98%...), and that the apostolic team thid interpret the passages that way ("this is just how we do things withing Sovereign Grace Ministries")."

"It's been over a year now since I pulled my family out of Sovereign Grace Ministries. It was hard leaving friends, brothers and sisters. We found a church that points us to Christ, not just the Cross. I am still kicking myself (repenting) of not yielding to the "Still Quiet Voice" I knew pre-Sovereign Grace Ministries."

Read Part Two HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment