Pages

Monday 5 July 2021

Women Cannot Be Senior Pastors: Robert Jeffress P/9


                                                                                Read Part One HERE


In this post I will continue to focus on Dr Robert Jeffress, Pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas who told his daughter when she was 11-years old that she could not be "head" or senior pastor just as he could not have babies....

 

My Comment 

Today I would like to introduce another woman from the Bible to Pastor Robert Jeffress, using once again Miriam as the one to introduce her..."Hello everyone, it is me again, Miriam....The other day I introduced some of Paul's female co-workers to the pastor who does not believe women can be "head" pastors....Talking about this pastor, I just learned that he bases his view on one line in 1Timothy 3:2 "Now the overseer must be....., the husband of but one wife."... Very interesting... I think I will mention it to some of the female overseers and will ask them to comment on it... For now I will ask my friend Phoebe to introduce herself to the pastor.... "Hello Pastor... As Miriam mentioned, my name is Phoebe... It is good to meet you... I lived in Cenchreae..... Perhaps you have heard of it.... We had a thriving church in that town... And I was a "diakonos" of that church....Moreover, I was a "prostatis" to many believers.... My understanding is that the term "diakonos" has been translated as "servant" in many of your Bible translations.... A better translation would be "deacon" or "minister" since I functioned as such in our church.... Moreover, the term "prostatis" has been translated as "help" in these same Bible translations... Hoever, this term in verb form has been used for church leaders to indicate these elders were guiding the congregation as  you will know from 1 Timothy 5:17.... Likewise, part of my functon in Cenchreae was to guide the church.... I am a little puzzled as to why the terms for my function are somewhat diministed in your Bible translations.... Especially, in light of the fact that the Apostle Paul entrusted his letter to the church in Rome to me because he had absolute confidence in me that I would represent him well before the church in Rome.... Perhaps you could introduce me one day to your congregation, pastor, as the Deacon from Cenchreae who guided her church just as you guide your church today."....

Read Part Ten HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment