Pages

Sunday 23 January 2022

Women are treated with disrespect: Bethlehem Baptist Church P/4

                                                     Read Part One HERE


In this post I will begin to share the story of Ann Elizabeth Mekala's abuse at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, previously pastored by John Piper.

Ann: "It has taken me two years and some time in therapy to have the courage to go public with my story. I was emotionally, psychologically and spiritually abused at COGGlobal where I worked for 8 years. I want to tell the truth for my own dignity and healing but also for the sake of anyone affiliated with this organisation and the church that oversees this ministry, which is Bethlehem Baptist Church. The leader of this student organisation is an elder at Bethlehem Baptist Church and I believe his behaviour to be indicative of a wider trend of sexism, abuse and not believing victims that is present in both church and organisation."

Ann: "After a few years of working with this organisation, I started to call out some of the unhealthy patterns I saw in the organisation specifically the deep rooted sexism and abuse in the treatment of female staff and students and the unaddressed power dynamics between men and women."

Ann: "Raising these concerns resulted in tone policing ("nope, try again, you sound too angry"), turning the blame back on me ("you're just doing this because you want a higher position and title"), causing me to question my own reality ("this just bothers you because of xyz that happened in your past") and the reversal of victim and abuser ("I feel like no matter how much we do for you you are never happy")."

P.S. I will continue the story of Ann Elizabeth Mekala's abuse at Bethlehem Baptist Church in my next post.

Read Part Five HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment