Pages

Sunday 9 January 2022

Crying is not acceptable: Bethlehem Baptist Church P/1


 


In this post I will begin to share the story of Hilary Engel's abuse at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, previously pastored by John Piper.

Hilary: "As a single woman in a Calvinist, complementarian church, spiritual abuse is (sadly) all but guaranteed."

Hilary: "I have never shared my story of spiritual abuse because I didn't think it was good enough. I believed (the lie) that my experience didn't matter and that I was just "too sensitive."

Hilary: "That belief in and of itself was the result of abuse. I was taught that my emotions were the enemy and to not feel, I was told and shown over and over, in a plethora of ways, that if I couldn't justify a feeling, it wasn't valid."

Hilary: "In fact, I remember being told at one point to "leave the platform" while singing on the worship team because I was crying and it may be "distracting" and "uncomfortable."

Hilary: "My Bethlehem Baptist Church ties run deep and are incredibly personal. Were there wonderful people who both came alongside me and shephered me when I needed it most? Absolutely. That said, abuse can still exist - and even run rampant - despite the presence of loving, wise, God-honouring individuals."

Hilary: "Behind the scenes I was told how I was gifted and called to serve and LEAD the church. In public? You would have never known it."

Hilary: "Singing is my passion. I prefer to sing in more of a free gospel and spiritual style. But at church I was told to "reign it in." I was repeatedly told that I was "too much" and that no one "knew what to do with me." 

P.S. I will continue the story of Hilary's abuse at Bethlehem Baptist Church in my next post.

Read Part Two HERE



 

No comments:

Post a Comment