Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2022

Women must not pray out loud: Bethlehem Baptist Church P/2


                                                      Read Part One HERE


In this post I will continue to share on Hilary Engel's abuse at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, previously pastored by John Piper.

Hilary: "All I wanted to do was serve Jesus and His people. But I couldn't do that without facing incredible scrutiny. So slowly but surely I changed."

Hilary: "I changed how I sang. I stopped praying out loud because I had been made to believe that as a woman that was controversial."

Hilary: "What's more, I was always on edge when reading Scripture, especially out loud, because I was afraid that someone would think I was preaching - and there was NO way I could do that. Ever. Not as a woman!"

Hilary: "The worst part? While the lies took hold and became truth I was still being reassured about my gifts and told that I should just "stick it out" because change was coming."

Hilary: "After leaving that environment, I am starting to be able to understand the toxicity. I am healing."

Hilary: "Not only was Bethlehem Baptist Church a place where I didn't feel safe or where I couldn't flourish, but it was an environment where countless others couldn't either. And that isn't the church. And it certainly is not a reflection of the Gospel and what Jesus would have done."

Hilary: "For me to heal has included things like attending a church that meets me in my hurt and encourages me to lead. It means learning to trust myself and my intuition after years of being told I was wrong." 

Read Part Three HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment