Pages

Sunday 20 March 2022

I am taking my life back: Jane's experience P/12

                  Read Part One HERE


 I will continue to share the story of a young woman's experience at The Master's College (now The Master's University or TMU), which is connected to Pastor John MacArthur's church, Grace Community Church, Sun Valley, California, USA. I will call her Jane eventhough that is not her real name. Her story covers a number of years of her life starting when she was fifteen before she entered The Master's College.

Jane: "It is 2008. I am still getting Facebook messages and emails from people I know at The Master's College calling me to repentance. They are rebuking me and quoting Scriptures about immorality and fornication. I know the narrative now. They have been told that I was sleeping around and was kicked out for drinking and carousing. They know my character and yet still assume it is true. Only one person from that whole community believes me - my roommate from Junior year."

Jane: "It is 2017. I have told a few people over the years about what happened to me, but mostly I want to move on and live my life and forget. I can't forget. I am trying to get my graduate degree but on paper failed three years of college and flunked out. I had to relive this nightmare trying to get my undergrade Psychology degree, and now again applying for graduate school. Every time I work with rape victimes, I relive my own trauma. I realise that I cannot move on until I bring this darkness into light - even if that helps just one person - even if that person is me. I am 32 years old and I am taking my life back. My name is Jane. Do you see me?"

 

P.S. This story exposes the mysogyny which is so prevalent among the leaders at The Master's College (now The Master's University) and Grace Community Church led by Pastor John MacArthur. As far as we know, the rapist was never removed from Seminary, very likely, because he "repented" with (crocodile?) tears and will have gone on to become a minister at a Reformed Church. It is, of course, possible that he repeated his actions of drugging/raping another innocent girl either while at Seminary or beyond and may have been caught then. We will never know, of course.

Read Part Thirteen HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment